Friday, January 18, 2013

To Test or Not Test for Celiac Disease



Get Tested for the Antibodies and Genes associated with Celiac Disease!  

Learn WHY you are sensitive to Gluten. It might be genetic!

My antibody test came back only mildly elevated so my general physician was not inclined to think I had Celiac Disease (also known as celiac sprue).  I told her I'd been eating mostly gluten free for several years.  So she told me to eat lots of gluten for 4 weeks, then had me retake the test.  The results were higher but still not "for sure".  

So I told my Doc I wanted another blood test to check for the presence of the HLA DQ genetic pattern (DQ2 & DQ8, etc.).  The presence of those genes means I could have or develop Celiac Sprue Disease.  Those tests came back positive for one of the genes.

So, I researched and networked with people to find a reputable doctor in my area who SPECIALIZED in diagnosing Celiac Disease.  The best doc was not the closest.   I drove 1 hour to San Francisco to meet the doc, scheduled the biopsy, and was diagnosed with Stage 1 Celiac Disease, all within about 30 days.  

Intestinal biopsy showing healthy vs. damaged tissue.
The benefit of KNOWING I have this disease is that I now live 100% dedicated to gluten free living - no slip-ups because the croissants looked good, for example. 

My positive result means that one or both of my parents carries the gene and my children should be tested for it too, since it IS GENETIC! 

Now I also get to write off the cost of gluten free food as a medical expense on my income taxes!!!  Here's a link to Tax Deductions for Celiac from the Celiac Disease Foundation's website.  The only "medicine" for Celiac Disease is diet, which is significantly more expensive than "regular" food.  If you think you're sensitive to Gluten, then get tested and write off the costs of Gluten Free Food!  If you are positive for the gene, then of course encourage your parents, siblings, and children to get tested too.

Dr. Jeffrey Aron, MD
Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Clinical Nutrition
Celiac Doctor, Pacific Heights Medical Group
2340 Clay Street, 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94115
Email:    aronjm@sutterhealth.org
Phone: 415-674-5200 & 415-600-3700
Fax:        415-600-3705
Profile   www.gut-check.com

Genetic tests for celiac disease and gluten sensitivity are readily available. Testing can be performed on either blood and mouth swab samples. If the testing is performed by certain laboratories not only will you have quite an accurate prediction of your risk of Celiac disease but also you may have information about the statistical probability that your children will inherit the risk, your likelihood of more severe Celiac disease, whether one or both of your parents had the risk gene, and for some laboratories you may determine your risk of gluten sensitivity without Celiac disease.

The absence of any portion of the high-risk genetic patterns DQ2 and DQ8 nearly excludes the possibility of celiac disease with an approximate accuracy of 99.9%. However, there is a big caveat about relying on "negative celiac genetic testing". To definitively declare you have negative celiac genetic tests requires that the laboratory test for and report the presence or absence of the entire HLA DQ genetic pattern, including both alpha and beta subunits.

More Info:
Celiac Disease Foundation http://www.celiac.org/
Celiac & Gluten Free INFO (by a Private Individual ) http://www.celiac.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment